Elf’s Bite-Sized Chocolate Peppermint Crinkles
Crinkle cookies are fun to make with your little elves – especially when it’s time to roll them in sugar and crushed candy!
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1-12 oz pkg. semisweet chocolate chips, melted & cooled
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
1/3 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- MIX flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- BEAT2 cups sugar, cooled chocolate, eggs, oil and peppermint extract in mixer bowl on medium speed until blended. Gradually ADD flour mixture, beating on low speed until blended.
- REFRIGERATE, covered, until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour or overnight.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. MIX powdered sugar and crushed candy in small bowl. Work with 1/3 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. SHAPE dough into 1-inch balls; ROLL in granulated sugar first and then in crushed candy mixture. PLACE two inches apart on parchment paper-lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- BAKE in 350°F oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. COOL on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes. REMOVE to wire racks; cool completely.
- How to keep your cookies white: Roll the cookie dough ball in granulated sugar before rolling it in the powdered sugar and crushed candy cane mix.
- Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.