10 Best Omelette Recipes
Waking up to the aroma of a nice fluffy omelette stuffed with cheese throws us back to lazy Sunday mornings. A simple omelette with toasted bread is the best breakfast. They make for a no-fuss meal which is wholesome and filling. An omelette is not only the perfect way to start off the morning or a weekend brunch but also works well as a dinner option or a quick snack. It will never disappoint you. Moreover, eggs are a high source of protein, which is essential for strong muscles. Also, protein can keep you energized for longer which helps in reducing the overall calorie intake.
Omelette is a French word that came into use during the mid-16th century. Ever since, it has travelled and been adapted into various versions across the world. A French omelette is cooked briskly in an extremely hot pan, sprinkled with just salt and pepper or sometimes flavoured with tomatoes and finely chopped herbs. The Spanish omelette is a classic dish famous with kids. The omelette has a stuffing of potatoes and pan-fried till golden. In the United Kingdom, omelettes are traditionally made with cheese, milk and eggs and often cooked on one side. And in India, the famous masala omelette is made by whisking finely chopped green chillies, onions, coriander, cumin and a pinch of turmeric with the eggs before frying it on the tawa.
The secret of making a good omelette
Making a great omelette is definitely a skill worth knowing. It is easy to make, but difficult to master. A perfect omelette is golden on the outside with creamy insides. Here are some tips that will help you get it right, every time. (How to Cook Eggs Without Cracking Up: Back to Basics)
1. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before cooking. Cold eggs will take longer to set and this may result in overcooking.
2. To obtain a fluffy texture for an omelette often small amount of milk or cream is added.
3. Beat the eggs well until there are no more flecks of white.
4. Melt the butter before pouring in the eggs or heat the oil before you add the batter. When the butter bubbles die down, add eggs. Butter gives it a more rich texture and taste.
5. Take note that the bottom of the omelette should not be brown but a vibrant yellow colour.
6. Add the toppings once the egg has set in and scatter them before folding.
7. Use a small non-stick pan for best results. Use medium heat. Also, it is wise to match the omelette to the size of the pan. If the pan is too big, the omelette will cook too quickly and if it is too small it may cook only on the outside with a runny center.
Once you’ve mastered the art of making the perfect omelette you can play around with flavours, seasonings, toppings and stuffing. Here are our favourite omelette recipes from across the world that everyone will love. Head this way for inspiration.
1. Balsamic Onion Omelette
Recipe by Chef Bikramjit Ray
A cosmopolitan omelette recipe with a splash of balsamic vinegar and crunchy caramelised onions.
2. Chicken Omelette with Sautéed Mushrooms
Recipe by Chef Aditya Bal and Morea brothers
A high protein omelette made with egg whites and a delicious stuffing of minced chicken. Served with some sautéed mushrooms. This breakfast will keep you fuelled on a busy day.
3. Spicy Omelette with Cashews
Recipe for Chef Roopa Gulati
Depart from the usual and try this omelette with cashews. Add celery, capsicums and mushrooms with some seasonings for flavours.
4. Vicky’s Spanish Omelette
Recipe by Chef Vicky Ratnani
The good old Spanish omelette, also called Tortilla de Patata, is easy to make and eat. It is a winner at the breakfast table.
5. Masala Omelette
Recipe by Chef Aditya Bal
Begin your day with a masala omelette recipe. A combination of assorted masalas, fresh coriander leaves, spring onions and grated cheese. Serve with a toasted bun.
6. Prawn Masala Omelette
Recipe by Chef Aditya Bal
This one is truly hearty. Prawns sautéed and mixed with eggs and placed between pavs and served. Feel free to add ingredients.
7. Tahu Telur (Indonesian Bean Curd Omelettes)
Recipe by Chef Nikhil Natasha
Indonesian-style omelettes made with eggs and tofu somewhat like pancakes and topped with a freshly made tomato sauce.
8. Mediterranean Omelette
Recipe by Chef Dharmender, Mocha, New Delhi
Omelette made with goodness of spinach, onions, olives and oregano packed in a flavoursome recipe.
(How to Cook the Perfect Fried Egg)
9. African Omelette
Recipe by Chef Dharmendar, Mocha, New Delhi
This African omelette is a great remedy for a Saturday night hangover. A fiery one with minced mutton, red paprika, onions and red chilli paste.
10. Cheese Onion Omelette
Recipe by Chef Ritu Dalmia
This classic recipe is everyone’s favourite. Gather all ingredients, whisk the eggs, pour the batter and generously top with Parmesan cheese. Simple yet delicious.