Salted Caramel Banana Pudding
As you start planning your family gatherings, make sure you know what dish you’re bringing. You can’t go wrong with a delicious dessert! This Salted Caramel Banana Pudding recipe will make you the family favorite!
1 cup white sugar
½ cup water
1 tsp. Kosher salt
3 cups heavy cream
1 ½ cup whole milk
1 large egg
3 large egg yolks
3 Tbsp. corn starch
5 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4-5 bananas, sliced
1 box gingersnap cookies
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together egg yolks with 1 whole egg.
- Mix together the milk and heavy cream in a liquid measuring cup.
- In a heavy pot, combine sugar, water, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat stirring once to combine. Gently swirl the pot as the sugar cooks but do not stir. Cook about 10 minutes until the sugar begins to turn a light gold brown.
- Carefully pour milk and cream mixture into the melted sugar, whisking continuously with a wire whisk. The caramel will bubble up quite a bit but will settle down.
- Temper the eggs. Remove a small amount of the hot caramel mixture and slowly pour it into the beaten eggs mixing continuously. TIP: tempering egg is a process that heats eggs slowly so that they do not cook too quickly and become lumpy when added to a hot liquid.
- Mix cornstarch into the tempered egg mixture.
- Pour tempered eggs back into the pot of caramel again whisking continuously.
- Cook over medium heat until the caramel begins to thicken. This should only take about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Strain pudding mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a metal mixing bowl or heat proof bowl. Push the liquid through with a rubber spatula and discard any lumps that might remain. This will leave you with the creamiest pudding.
- Cover pudding with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The plastic should be touching the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from developing.
WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
WHIPPED CREAM DIRECTIONS:
1. Beat heavy whipping cream, vanilla and confectioners sugar together in an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Make this just before serving.
— In small glass mason jars or glasses, alternate layers of pudding, sliced bananas and crushed gingersnap cookies.
— Top with homemade whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.