Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
December 4th is #NationalCookieDay! Our classic, Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs will make the holidays even more magical. What’s your favorite cookie recipe?
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, room temperature
2 egg yolks, room temperature
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp. meringue powder
4 Tbsp. water
- BEAT butter, granulated sugar and vanilla in mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. ADD egg and egg yolk; beat on low speed until blended. Gradually ADD flour and salt, beating just until blended.
- REFRIGERATE dough, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Work with 1/2 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. ROLL out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. CUT out cookies using cookie cutters; PLACE 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined or ungreased baking sheets.
- BAKE in 350°F oven until edges are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. COOL on baking sheets 1 minute. REMOVE to wire racks; cool completely.
- FOR ICING: COMBINE powdered sugar, meringue powder and water in mixer bowl. BEAT on high speed until light and fluffy, 6 to 8 minutes. If icing is too thick, thin with small amounts of additional water.
— Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.
— Prefer your cookies crispy? Roll the dough a bit thinner
— Insider trick: roll the dough, cut out the shapes, and put the entire baking sheet in the fridge for a few minutes before baking!
— Decorate: Divide icing among small bowls; tint with food coloring, as desired. Ice cookies and sprinkle with colored sugars, sprinkles or nuts.