Blue Cheese Flan
This is a delicious custardy dessert now made with Buffalo, New York's favorite cheese. If you're not a fan of blue cheese, you just might reconsider after trying this.
A Spanish delicacy paired with crunchy black pepper twists and a sweet strawberry compote
For the Blue Cheese Flan
- 5 large Rosemary Farm eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 6 ounces Blue cheese
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups strawberry compote (recipe below)
- 12 black pepper twists (recipe below)
For the Black Pepper Twists
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 large Rosemary Farm egg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the Strawberry Compote
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup brown sugar
Blue Cheese Flan
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar with water until liquefied and golden in color. Place chopped garlic among bottoms of six 6-ounce ramekins. Carefully pour hot syrup into ramekins, turning each dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, blue cheese, pepper, mustard, and salt until smooth. Pour egg mixture evenly into ramekins. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven 25 minutes. Let cool completely
- To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges, place a spoonful of compote on one side and two black pepper twists opposite.
Black Pepper Twists
- Cut puff pastry into long half-inch strips.
- Mix egg with a touch of water and brush over puff pastry strips; then sprinkle with pepper and sugar.
- Twist each pastry strip several times to create a long corkscrew shape.
- Bake in 400° F oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine ingredients and simmer on low for approximately 10 minutes.
View Our Blog
Check out our blog to learn more about our process, our partners, and the great eggs we produce.