Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
These Gingerbread whoopie pies are an eggciting twist on a classic! Whip them up and enjoy!
These delightful treats are the perfect way to share the holiday spirit with your loved ones. Made with soft and moist gingerbread cakes, these pies are sandwiched with a simple yet delicious cream cheese frosting. It's a classic recipe that's easy to make and will be loved by everyone.
- 2 1/3 cups (292g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup unsulphured dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/4 cup hot espresso or water
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large Rosemary Farm eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Maple Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (360 g) confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp. heavy cream or whole milk, as needed
- Whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Stir together hot espresso and molasses to the bowl of a stand mixer. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugars, oil, eggs and vanilla. Use the whisk attachment to mix for one minute.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add the dry ingredients in two additions. Mix until just barely combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use a silicone baking mat.
- Scoop 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, three inches apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before adding frosting.
Maple Cream Cheese Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese for 1 minute.
- Add the unsalted butter and beat with the cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of sifted confectioners sugar, one cup at a time. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons (to taste) of pure maple syrup.
- Mix to combine on medium speed. Frosting should be thick enough to pipe. If too thin, add more confectioners sugar. If too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or whole milk.
- To assemble the whoopie pies, place cream cheese frosting in a large piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe about 1 ½ tablespoons of frosting onto the flat side of one whoopie pie. Top with a second whoopie pie and gently press together to form a sandwich.
- Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place.
View Our Blog
Check out our blog to learn more about our process, our partners, and the great eggs we produce.